How to Use for Pets
How to Use CBD Oil
CBD oil is most often used internally (through ingestion). Because CBD oil is a relatively new supplement, exact dosing isn’t well established. While more long-term studies are needed, there is no established CBD “overdose” and there are very few if any side effects at any dosage.
When trying to find the right dosage, consider these things:
- Start by purchasing a high quality oil from a reputable company. A higher quality oil will be more bioavailable, so a lower dose can be enough.
- Begin with the recommended dosage on the bottle (especially if using preventatively).
- Some notice a change immediately, while others don’t notice any improvement for several weeks. If after several weeks there is still no change, increase the dosage.
- As with most herbal supplements, a small dosage 3 - 4 times a day is usually more therapeutic than one large dose.
Important note: Though CBD oil on its own is very safe, it may interact with medications, particularly opioids. Speak with your veterinarian if you’re concerned about interactions or are unsure about using hemp oil for your conditions.
CBD Oil for Pets
All mammals have an endocannabinoid system, CBD oil can have some of the same benefits for pets as it does for humans.
For cats and dogs in particular, CBD oil may help with:
- excessive barking or crying
- pets getting along with other pets
- relaxing pets before a trip to the veterinarian or groomers
- lack of appetite
- separation anxiety
How to Use CBD for Pets:
There may be some trial and error in finding the right dosage for pets. Start with a low dose of one (1) milligrams per ten (10) pounds of body weight and go up to five (5) milligrams per ten (10) pounds of body weight if needed. A higher dose may be necessary for some ailments. A low dose 3-4 times a day is usually more therapeutic than one large dose.
Note: 20 drops = 1.0ml
Pet Oil Administration:
Add to pet food and mix, add drops to pet's favorite treat, directly under the pet's tongue and for those finicky pets - smother onto a piece of bread/toast and cover with peanut butter.
Recommendation: use lowest amount of drops first and if no changes occur within 1(one) hour, serve a little bit more. May be given 3-4 times a day.
1-7 drops < 15lbs
5-15 drops = 15-50lbs
10-20 drops = 50+lbs
1-5 drops < 15lbs
5-15 drops >= 16-50lbs
10-20 drops = 50+lbs